Sunday, June 06, 2004

ER

The urgent clinic recommended that we go to Emanuel hospital, and off we went. I had no idea at the time if my insurance would cover this hospital or not, but that was the least of our concerns. We had to wait quite awhile to get in to the ER. Once in there, we were told pretty quickly that he was having seizures and that he had epilepsy. This seemed impossible to me, as I've never even known anyone with epilepsy and I always assumed it was just something you'd know at birth if it were a problem.
The ER docs were consulting via phone with the neurologist, and since it was a weekend it was taking a long time. We talked to a couple of nurses there that made it sound like it wasn't a big deal, and something we could take care of with some drugs. They finally gave John some Ativan to stop the seizures. They were set to discharge us, with instructions to make an appt. with a neurologist as soon as we could. Even with the Ativan, John was still having head drops. I think Yoshie and I must have looked pretty worried, because they asked us if we wanted to get admitted to the hospital "just to make us feel better". We took them up on the offer.